What's Happening: June 2020
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Title I Schools
- Child Development Centers and Resource Centers
- Government Agencies
- Other groups serving low-income children and families in Davidson County
RIF Readers Survey
Update on Book'em's Staff
Meet the Book'em Interns!
- Process in book donations and assist with book distributions. We need your help to provide books to Nashville's kids this summer! Please note that we're currently scheduling volunteers in 2 week chunks, so keep checking for the most up-to-date opportunities. Sign up to volunteer.
- Write encouraging notes or create bookmarks - Let a child know that you're thinking of them and reading is important! Mail us words of inspiration and/or bookmarks that we can add to book distributions this summer. Mail to: Book'em, 161 Rains Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203.
- Read a story online - Email Jocelyn if you'd like to make a read aloud video on our Oh, the Books We'll Read! YouTube Channel. Email our Young Professionals Board if you'd like to read aloud on our Facebook page.
Book'em Needs Temporary Home
- About 500 square feet - 20 x 20 or something similar; could be 2 rooms
- Move in sometime in July
- Option to stay until December 2020 if possible
- Access Monday through Friday between 9 and 4 (and/or 8-5) - during all phases of the Mayor's reopening plan - even during Safer at Home orders
- Easy access to outside for book donations, drop-offs and book pick-ups, bringing volunteers into the space, etc. (We use handcarts to move books into and out of the building and sometimes have rather large donations and pick-ups.)
- Air conditioning and heating
- A good deal on the price (special discount) and/or in-kind donation.
Amazon Wish List
We have updated our Amazon Wish List based on initial recommendations for books that support conversations about race, feature characters of color, and celebrate the cultures of traditionally underrepresented groups. This is not an exhaustive list and we are open to any suggestions that you may have. Books purchased from this list are sent directly to our office. You can also purchase books from Parnassus or other local bookstores and ship or drop off the books.